Sunday, June 8, 2008

Here's a view from a pedestrian overpass near my hotel (that's the Sheraton on the right down the road, with the pointy roof, which is not my hotel!)

The flight on Delta was not quite as good as the Royal Jordanian flight I took last year, though face it, 11-12 hours in a plane is fairly wretched no matter which airline you take. The food on Delta was definitely less appetizing, though again, for those of us in steerage when is the food ever good?

That aside, it was pretty amazing that not only was everything on time, my luggage arrived as well. Queen Aliyah Airport in Amman sometimes seems chaotic but generally things work pretty well. Better than some US airports I've been in, indeed. The CIEE folks, the hosts for our seminar, picked us up at the airport, a nice surprise as we had thought that only the lucky few coming in at the prescribed late afternoon early evening time would actually get that luxury. 

I didn't get a picture, but every time I pass the water park (the name escapes me) on the highway into the city I shake my head. Here's a place where most folks get their water delivered by water truck every few days or so, and they have a freakin' water park? I guess everyone likes a water slide. Probably more interesting is the sheer variety of produce and stuff people sell, from vegetables vended from roadside stands to people hawking flowers at intersections. All very polite and by no means disruptive, just interesting. As are the occasional enclosures with camels you can see from the highway. I have no idea what the camels are for, actually, but they do lend a sort of T.E. Lawrence vibe to things.

4 comments:

Gary Scudder said...

Glad you made it to Amman! Keep us posted.

Gary

David Kite said...

Hi Bob -

Bring us back a camel.
dk

Gary Scudder said...

And some delicious Jordanian (Cincinnati) chili!

Gary

Anonymous said...

Tell us more about the pastries...